Nootropics – if this word is new to you and perplexes you, here is what it means. It is a type of food/compound which can help improve your mental ability. Users can focus better, stay motivated, remember much more and even become cheerful.
When you are looking at supplements and wonder which one would suit your needs, make sure to do your research well. Talk to your doctor before taking any supplements as not all of them are created equal. Some of them may contain ingredients which you may have allergies too. Buy only those which are verified for content and offered by reputable manufacturers.
- Creatine is a popular supplement used by gym rats to enhance their performance; between 500 and 1,000 mg. Over the last decade, creatine’s ability to enhance brain function has been demonstrated quite well. It has been shown to have a significant effect on intelligence and memory.
- L-theanine is found in mushrooms and green tea. It is considered quite safe and helps people sleep well. Combined with caffeine, it has been shown to enhance cognitive performance by elevating alertness.
- Passionflower supplements are made from the part of the plant above the ground. It works well to stop anxiety attacks and also for insomnia. It has been used to treat withdrawal symptoms associated with opiate and other drug use.
- DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid which is extracted from seaweed and fish. It helps with memory improvement and also against some mental issues. It has been shown to help people with depression and data suggests that it could inhibit the progress of some psychiatric disorders. Nootropic supplement contains Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Acetylcholine is an important neurotransmitter as it facilitates connections between synapses and neurons. High levels of acetylcholine help people concentrate better and remember more information.
- The racetam group of supplements is quite powerful and considered the best for memory enhancement. Be it piracetam, pramiracetam or oxiracetam, their role is to stimulate acetylcholine receptors in the brain. The effects can be felt right away but long term use offers the best results.
- Another wonderful nootropic is called Huperzine A whose function is to increase acetylcholine levels in the brain. It prevents the breakdown of this neurotransmitter effectively and thereby improves memory, mental acuity and learning in people of all ages, especially the elderly. It is also being tested as a treatment option for Alzheimer’s patients.
- Glutamate is yet another neurotransmitter that occurs in abundance in the brain. It plays an important role in helping communication between neurons. Make sure to get the right dosage as it can be toxic otherwise. Nootropics that help increase glutamate levels in the brain are called Ampakines.
After a review of all the memory enhancing nootropics on the market, if you are wondering how to use these supplements, here is some advice. Use just one without any add ons. Try to supplement with others like choline and theanine. There are companies which offer one supplement with all the necessary ingredients – try it out and see the results for you.